Safety & Security
The role of the Security Department at Yorkdale is to ensure every visitor has a safe and enjoyable shopping experience.
By patrolling and monitoring all areas of the shopping centre, the Yorkdale Security Team makes certain that all visitors abide by the centre’s rules and regulations and conduct themselves in a manner that is conducive to a safe and secure environment.
Yorkdale Security is a proprietary security department with a staff of 51 employees. The department, managed by a Security Manager, Assistant Security Manager, Security Administrator and five Security Supervisors, oversees all aspects of safety and security in the shopping centre as well as the exterior parking facilities.
Security coverage for the shopping centre is scheduled on a 24-hour basis, 365 days a year. Security Officers constantly patrol the entire shopping centre. Around the shopping centre, Security Vehicle patrols of the parking facilities are conducted in two marked Security cars as well as a T3 Electric Stand-Up Vehicle. Licence Plate Recognition is also used to enforce parking regulations.
The storefront Security Office is located at the subway entrance of the shopping centre. Our Security Base Station is manned by a Security Officer responsible for monitoring the shopping centre’s CCTV camera system, receiving all incoming calls, dispatching Security Officers and providing customer assistance. To contact the Yorkdale Security office, please call 416-789-9950.
AUTO AID SERVICES
Aside from providing a safe, secure shopping environment, Yorkdale Security also offers the following Auto Aid Services:
- Battery Boosts
- Flat Tire Service
- Escort to Vehicle
To request these services, contact Yorkdale Security at 416-789-9950.
CODE OF CONDUCT
To download our Code of Conduct Policy click here.
SECURITY OFFICER RECRUITMENT STANDARDS
Applicants seeking employment for the position of Security Officer with the Yorkdale Shopping Centre Security Department must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be of good moral character with no criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Provide proof of a minimum of grade 12 education. A diploma from a community college in Law & Security or Police Foundations, or similar educational undertaking would be an asset.
- Provide proof of a valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Provide proof of current First Aid and C.P.R. certificates.
- Attain satisfactory standards through various tests administered by Yorkdale Security personnel.
- Submit a cover letter, resume and a completed application form to the Yorkdale Security Department address listed below.
- A valid Security License from the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
In today’s society, the role of a Security Officer is rapidly changing. The level of professionalism and quality of personnel required for the job have greatly increased in the past decade. In this regard, competencies or abilities that are necessary to performing the job of Security Officer have been identified. These skills include:
- analytical thinking
- excellent communication skills
- flexibility/dealing with diversity
- relationship building
- achievement orientation
- physical skills/abilities
- customer service orientation
- commitment to learn
- team player
SECURITY OFFICER SELECTION PROCESS
Application review: Applicant qualifications will be reviewed and ranked.
Applicant testing: Potential applicants will be contacted and offered the opportunity to complete the Yorkdale Shopping Centre Security Officer testing. The testing will be used to assist in determining a potential candidate’s suitability for the position of Yorkdale Shopping Centre Security Officer.
First interview: The purpose of this interview is to determine employment suitability. The candidate’s knowledge and experience will be assessed during this interview.
Second interview: During this stage, potential candidates will be given the opportunity to participate in an interview to determine if the applicant possesses the essential competencies for the position of Yorkdale Shopping Centre Security Officer.
Background/reference check: At this stage references submitted by the applicant will be contacted. Please be advised that any former employers or references provided may be contacted to verify records. Education transcripts and/or any other documents submitted may be subject to verification.
Offer of employment: Successful applicants will be offered a position with the Yorkdale Shopping Centre Security Department, subject to availability and a pre-determined probationary period. The applicant will be required to provide a clear Police record check obtained per the instructions of the employer. Failure to produce such clearance within the probationary period will result in the applicant’s employment offer being terminated.
Please forward to your application and resume to:
Yorkdale Management Office
1 Yorkdale Road, Suite #500
Attention: Keith LeClair, Security Manager
An enjoyable shopping outing is also a safe one. Here are a few safety tips to consider.
- Park close to your shopping destination. Let your family and friends know your shopping plans and when you will be coming home.
- Double-check your vehicle to make sure it is locked and windows are rolled up.
- Keep all shopping parcels and other valuables out of sight.
- When shopping with others, set a time and place to meet during your shopping outing. If you are shopping with children, keep track of their whereabouts.
- Keep purses close to your body. Wallets should be kept in a breast pocket. Waist packs are also useful for keeping money in front of you while leaving your hands free for shopping.
- If you are leaving Yorkdale and someone approaches you, return to the building and contact Security. Our staff will escort you to your vehicle.
- Have car keys in hand before you get to your car. When you return to your car, be aware of your surroundings.
- When entering any parking lot, if you see someone you think may be a threat, stay in your car and drive away.
If you see any suspicious activity and/or people, please notify a Yorkdale Security Officer or Customer Service representative immediately. To contact by phone, call Security at 416-789-9950 or dial Customer Service, 416-789-3261.